Is AMERICA Great?
Is America great or does it need to be made great again? Lately, I’ve heard a lot on the subject and I’ve come to the conclusion that each person’s opinion is likely based on his or her own personal experience. Since we all have different experiences, I won’t bother with that argument. However, here are five things we should all consider that can either make great again or improve upon greatness.
- Spend quality time with our children, teaching them how to be decent human beings. This aspect of our society is in dire need for improvement.
- Be conscious of how your words and actions affect the world around you. It requires a little thinking before doing, but I think we can manage.
- Never forget that a small act of kindness can go a long way.
- Shop at small businesses whenever possible. It strengthens the local economy and provides less money for large corporations to influence government. It’s also a simple and practical way to redistribute wealth from the super rich, back to middle income earners.
- Invest in small businesses. It’s another way to strengthen the local economy. Also, investing in the stock market provides large amounts to funds to large corporations. It’s not a loan so they have no obligation to repay. If they lose your money, they can simply walk away as if nothing ever happened. They won’t even apologize for it. At least with a small business, you have some say if you feel poor decisions are being made. There are also simple things you can do to help improve the business such as telling others about it.
Sure, we can wait around for government to change things, but I for one am doubtful of their motivation, since many of them benefit from the way things are. We cannot look to them for change; therefore, the change must come from us. We have the power and with simple steps, we can begin to make a difference. In the words of John F. Kennedy, “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”
Eric L. Lipsey